Monday, September 20, 2010

What happened to...?

One reader of A Life With Horses told me she would like to have the answers to a few questions after she read the book. That surprised me at first, but then I thought about it. Kudos to you, discerning reader, for immersing yourself so much in the stories that you wanted to know more. Although we never discussed what questions she needed answers to (I told her I wanted to sometime!), I have guessed at some. Here are a couple:

1. What happened to Dark Mo, (Chapter 13) the little Arabian gelding I competed on at my first reining show? I showed Mo the following year, then he went home to Bob and Janet, his owners, who eventually sold him. The new owner did a bit of everything with him, but never reined him. When he was 14 or 15, someone contacted me and asked me to critique him. They wanted to buy him but needed to know if he could still rein. I had not seen him for many years and didn't know what I would find, but when I stepped up on him, he immediately responded. We put sliding plates on him and, after a fifteen minute refresher course, he slid! They bought him and went on to rein him for a few years. I lost track of him after that, but I strongly suspect they had him until he died...

2. Where is Wildwood Kokanee (on the cover, Chapters 23, 25, 26) now? The lady I sold Kokanee to rode her for a couple of years and sold her to a beginner reiner. This woman loved Kokanee with a passion and I'm sure she would have had a permanent home with her, but on December 22, 2006 (the same day I moved to the Chilcotin), Kokanee broke a leg in a freak accident at the barn she boarded at and had to be euthanized. It broke Vikki's heart. Last summer, when she bought the book, she emailed me to say she could not read about Kokanee yet. "It's still too soon."

If you have a question, please post and I will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment